No matter what, children should not interfere with your active lifestyle. Of course, every mother has the right to be strong, beautiful and healthy. Often women cannot organize properly their time with small children. If you noticed such a tendency in your lifestyle, then here is the solution. Start doing exercises with your child! Nowadays workouts with kids are quite possible. We provide you with the best workout program that you can do with your children at home.
Workouts with kids is an important part of recovery after childbirth. Exercises not only strengthen the body but also help to recover your mental balance. Fatigue, apathy, and weakness – these are the most frequent problems young mothers face. Regular physical activity and keeping to basic rules of proper nutrition will be beneficial for your body and soul. Having chosen the workout with kids, start with small loads. You will gradually find the training rhythm suitable for you. It will help you lose weight after giving birth. Besides, bring yourself to a good shape, become more cheerful, stronger and more confident. So take your child and start exercising!
Top 12 best Workouts with Kids
- “KANGAROO” SQUATS
Put the baby on the chair facing you. Then maximally spread the foot. But so that it was convenient. Then place them wider than shoulders. Bend your knees slightly. Keeping a backbeat in your back, bend over to the child. And take him in your arms. Let him grab you by the neck and body. Bend your legs and move to a standing position. The muscles of the bark are in tension. The back is straight. The child is firmly fixed. (A)
Perform a squat, spreading your knees to the sides. To the right angle in the joint. The back remains as straight as possible. The gaze is directed upwards and forward. (B) Stay at the lowest point for a couple of seconds. Then return to the starting position. The number of repetitions depends on the child’s weight. Besides, at the level of your physical training. Well, it is good if you do the last exercises with difficulty and burning feelings in the muscles of the legs. Such workouts with kids are very beneficial.
Stand in front of the child, and hold your hands. He takes you by the thumb. And the rest fingers clasp his wrists. Your feet should be shoulder-width apart. Knees – in the half-squat position. Bark muscles – in tension. Body slightly bent. Back is straight, with a backbend. (A)
Now lift the baby up. The movement will be springy. By jumping the child, straightening your knees and body. The last stage – pulling up. At the end point, your wrists should be at the shoulder joints level. Elbows pointing up, body straight. And the child as close as possible to your body. (B) Hold this position for 2 seconds. And then return to the starting position. As to the number of repetitions during workouts with kids, the rules are the same as in squats.
- STRAP “PALMS”
Stand in the strap on the straight arms. Wrists under the shoulder joints. Shoulders are lowered. The body forms a straight line from the back of the head to the heels. The child is in front of you. At a distance a little more than an outstretched hand. He can repeat your position or just sit as he likes (A).
Clap each other on the palms with your right hands (B). Return to the starting position. Then repeat the clap by left hands. Your task is to keep the body parallel to the floor. And the core muscles are in tension. Play palms for 30 seconds. Do it changing hands as quickly as possible. You can combine the exercise with a score learning. Learn to count from 1 to 20 during workouts with kids.
Legs on the floor. Bend your legs. Angles in the knee and hip joints – on 90 degrees. Put your hands behind your head. Strain the press and move the shoulder blades off the floor. Then press the lower back. Chin and gaze upward (A).
Stretch your right leg forward parallel to the floor. It should be as straight and tense as possible. Now let the child jump over it like a stream (B). Repeat the same with your left foot. And do the exercise for 30 seconds.
- LIFT THE CHILD
Technique. Technically, it is difficult to lift not equipped weight from the floor. In order not to injure either the lower back or the legs, lift the baby like this. Stand up a little to the side of the child and sit deep. Now, minimally bending the body forward, lift it. But straighten your legs. So the leg which is closer to the child will be more loaded. It will be a full squat.
Muscles. Using this technique of workouts with kids. You train the quadriceps, along with the gluteus muscles.
Mode. To pump the legs and buttocks, you need to raise a child every day. At least 8-12 times on each side. But in this case, there is a risk that the child will become lazy to walk himself. Better focus on the technique of lifting.
Upgrade. Add a spring to your squat. Having taken the child in your arms, do not squat immediately. Make a spring in this position 5-6 times, rising by no more than one-third of the amplitude.
- ROCK THE CHILD TO SLEEP
Technique. During these workouts with kids, the child lies on your left hand with his head on your elbow. With the right leg, you just support it. Put your legs shoulder-width apart and bend the knees slightly. Straighten, but do not bend your back. Strain your abdominal muscles. Now try to rock the child only due to the body movements. But not with your hands. First, turn smoothly left and right. Then just lift it up and down slightly, straightening and bending your legs. Then combine both movements.
Muscles. This is currently a popular training of a rotational nature. The back muscles are loaded. And the endurance of other muscles responsible for correct posture is trained.
Mode. Rock the child right-left, up and down and diagonally. Spending exactly 30 seconds for each movement. Be ready, that it will not be so easy. So be ready for the circular training of 5-7 approaches in each movement.
Upgrade. Hold the child away from the body. On almost straight arms. This will simultaneously increase the load on the muscles of the bark and shoulder girdle. As well as increase the amplitude of the baby movements.
- CHILD UP
Technique. Put your feet to shoulder width. Slightly bent at the knees. Keep your baby in a starting position in front of the breast. Pointing your elbows down. Sit down a little. Then with the combined movement of the legs and arms push the child up. Release at the top of the amplitude. The child will fly, and you do not forget to catch him. Wrapping his chest with your hands. Slightly kick the legs to minimize the load on the lower back. Repeat immediately. And remember the ceiling!
Muscles. There are deltoid workouts with kids in plyometric mode. In sports practice, such exercises are recommended for developing the strike strength. Or throwing a ball.
Mode. 5-7 repetitions per approach are the limit. But there should be a lot of approaches. From 8 to 12. A break between approaches usually lasts 30-60 seconds. During the rest time, you can shake the baby on his foot. But you need to know how to do it correctly.
Upgrade. You can complicate the exercise by lifting and subsequent throwing from a deep squat. But do not lift the heel off the floor. And do not round the waist. The rest is all the same.
- SWAY ON FOOT
Technique. Throw your legs. Then let the child sit above, as on a horse. And firmly holding the “withers” hands. Start swinging your baby, straightening and bending the leg. Do the movement slowly enough. Slightly freezing at the top point, where additionally strain the quadriceps. Lower your leg about one and a half to two times slower than straighten it.
Muscle. Training for Quadriceps.
Mode. Try to do 3-4 sets of 15-30 repetitions. Depending on the child’s weight.
Upgrade. To complicate this kind of workouts with kids. Try not to just straighten the leg at the upper point of the movement. But to move it off from the lower, supporting leg. So you will significantly increase the load on the muscles. Flexing the thigh. And make the abdominal muscles work harder.
- RUN THE RACE
Technique. During these kinds of workouts with kids, everything is simple. Jogging with a soft landing on the heel. Arms bent at the elbows and move back and forth on the sides of the body.
Muscles. The main muscle that gets the load here is the heart. Running, especially in such a rhythm, will easily raise the pulse to a regime of excellent cardiac training. Be sure the child will provide the necessary rhythm for you.
Mode. The more, the better. Run with your child at least 3-5 times a week and at least 20 minutes each.
Upgrade. Run with a backpack behind your back. Or for a children’s bike, which the child rides.
- COLLECTING CHILD’S TOYS
Technique. Collecting the child’s toys from the floor at home, remember the position of the waist. Lean forward, slightly bending the legs at the knees. But noticeably bend in the lower back. As when doing a deadlift. Then gently straighten up, returning to its original position.
Muscles. Collecting toys may well stretch the thigh and leg muscles. The result depends on how much you straighten your legs. The better you involve the legs, the stronger the stretching effect will be.
Mode. The optimal mode for a dynamic stretch is considered 3-4 approaches of 8-12 repetitions. Strive for this.
Upgrade. You can complicate the exercise, putting one straight leg forward and shifting body weight to it. The remaining leg behind with the need to put on the toe. And keep your back all the same straight.
- ROLL ON THE BACK
Technique. So, during this kind of workouts with kids, your child saddled you. Roll it with benefits for you. Take a few steps. And then take the lying position and push out. If the child demands an explanation, say that you are obstinate. To make him believe you, kick and beat your hoof.
Muscle. Exercise will develop the pectoral, triceps and front of the back. And besides, add the stamina.
Mode. Work to failure during workouts with kids. Move forward, pushing up, until you fall. If the length of the room is small, you can step not only forward. But also back and even sideways. While doing the exercise, you will only benefit from this.
Upgrading. Want to make it harder, then lift one leg up, while pushing up. So you will increase the load on the core and complicate the task of maintaining balance.
- PULLING BACK
Technique. Hang on the crossbar. But holding the grip slightly wider than the shoulders with your palms on yourself. The child should hang on your leg, on both legs, or on your back. Look up and bend in the thoracic spine. Bending the arms and lowering the shoulder girdle down, pull up. Trying to raise the chin above the crossbar. Return to the starting position and repeat.
Important: Try to go down slowly and under control. Spending at least 2 seconds to return to the starting position. The number of repeats is from 6 to 12.
Training with the youngest: children from 1 to 3 years
A child begins to move a lot and actively after 1 year. As a rule, the baby has already learned to walk. So it is almost impossible to keep the little baby in place. Now he needs help getting new skills. He needs to learn how to go, run and so on. And for this, you need to devote a few minutes a day to gymnastics. It is high time to start your workouts with kids. Of course, it will strengthen even weak muscles. After all, those parts of the body whose work is connected with upright walking, experience an unusually big load.
However, do not use the old methods of children’s massage and gymnastics. As they were used until the age of 1 year, they are no longer suitable. There are so many interesting things around. How can you sit quietly, and even more lie down in place! It remains to start doing strengthening and developing exercises for the child. The best variant to use them in the game form. Your child will definitely like such activities. And you will also benefit from it.
Outdoor games while going for a walk
No doubt, the most suitable time for workouts with kids is a walk. And the first necessary exercise is walking. If the baby is still unable to walk on its own. Invite him to carry his own stroller, pushing it in front of him. You can offer your child to move towards any goal. For example: “Let’s go to that tree,” “Let’s get to mother”. Or use a toy on a long stick that the baby is rolling in front of you. Children’s mobility is not limited to sitting in a wheelchair and permanently jerking. Learn to walk and run faster, develop better.
When the baby is already walking well enough. Then he has a need to master other means of movement. Often a child of 1.5–3 years old is more likely to run than walk. And even frequent falls do not distract him from this fascinating activity. At that moment, when the child has learned to run. Then you can begin to teach him how to jump.
To teach the kid to jump, jump off the step yourself. After that, put the child on the same step. Then stand up to face him. Take hands, offer to sit down a bit and jump towards you. When the baby begins to jump quite confidently, hold him by one arm. And then let him jump on his own. Later, children learn to jump on the spot on two and one legs.
It is interesting and very useful for a child who has learned to walk and run around to learn other types of walking. Such as movement with the added step. Besides, walking on toes and heels, walking on the outer surface of the foot. All these exercises are the good prevention of flat feet. Children imitate various animals with pleasure. And it is also good to use for training various movements. Balance and coordination of speech and motor skills (the ability to move and speak at once).
Here is an example of some such exercises:
- Bunny. The child jumps on two legs, pressing his palms to the head.
- The horse. The child runs skipping.
- Bear. Walking on the outer surface of the foot.
- The frog. The child squats, putting his hands on the floor. Then imitates the frog’s sound. And jumps forward, straightening and raising his hands. Then squats down again.
- Heron. Walks through the swamp, raising his legs high.
The next useful kind of workouts with kids during a walk is climbing. Teach your baby to climb over a fallen tree, a small bench. Climb first on an inclined, and later on a vertical ladder. At the same time try not to keep, but just to ensure it. When teaching the child to climb, first show the child how to do it. (To do this, you just have to climb over, and not step over the obstacle.) And then offer to do this to the child. If possible, only prompting, rather than helping him. As soon as the child has learned to climb over the obstacle. Repeat this exercise as often as possible while walking.
And, of course, the older the child, the more important it is to include in the workouts with kids role-playing outdoor games. Besides, classes on various projectiles (horizontal bars, ladders), and ball games. Various games with throwing and pushing the ball can begin at the age of 1.5-2 years. Teach the child to throw the ball from behind the head, from the chest, with the right and left hand, to catch it. At first, just pass the ball, gradually increasing the distance between you and the child.
In general, a child over 2.5 years old can be taught almost any sport. But workouts with kids make sense only when they bring joy to you and the child. By the way, children, from whom a proper result is demanded. Actually, it doesn’t matter: get a foot on the ball or resist on skis. They are, as a rule, less successful than those who are praised even for a tiny exercise. Remember: a child is hard to control his body. Your main task is to help him learn it. The fact is what for you is a trifle, for the baby – the whole event.
Workouts with kids: training at home
Of course, the walk is not the only place for workouts with kids. It would be nice if the kid had an opportunity to exercise at home. The basis of motor activity should be walking, climbing, overcoming obstacles, various games with a ball, gymnastic wand, and other toys.
For a start, these can be simple and interesting tasks. Come and see what is hidden in my hand, behind my back, behind the pillow, behind the chair. The kid, looking for his favorite toy, will try to overcome the obstacles in his way.
For example, it climbs over a pillow, crawls under a low table, etc. Gradually the games become more difficult. Since children at this age are very susceptible and prone to imitation, show the exercises yourself. Compare with the movements of animals, characters from fairy tales. It is necessary to complicate tasks gradually, only after the baby has mastered the more simple movements. In each game, there should be movements for all muscle groups (arms and shoulder girdle, legs and feet, abdominals, back) and they should be alternated. Gymnastics classes should not be too long (5-6 exercises) and include rest pauses.
Exercises to learn a proper walking
- Walking along the “narrow path”. On the floor, mark with a chalk (with ropes, sticks) a 30 cm wide walkway. In the future, the walkway should be narrowed down to 20–10 cm. Suggest the child walk along it independently, maintaining balance.
- Walk along the “walkway”, putting the leg behind the leg.
- Reaching the end of the “walkway”, turn around and walk back.
- Raise one leg and stand for a few seconds.
Pay attention to the position of the feet when walking. The line of support should pass through the heel and the second toe. The inner edge of the foot is slightly raised.
- Walking sideways. Walk sideways along the “narrow path” with small side steps. Teach your baby to move well in the right and left sides.
- Walking on an inclined bench. Strengthen a gymnastic bench, a longboard or a slide. Lifting one end to a height of 20-25 cm (to the second crossbar of the main ladder). Ask your child to go up the hill, turn and go down. First, help the baby by supporting his hand.
- Slip. Teach your child to move down the hill, constantly increasing the angle of its inclination. It is very fun and funny, at the same time, slipping is the formation of new motor skills for your baby.
- Play “Teddy Bear.” Place a bear or another favorite toy on top of the hill. Have the child go upstairs and, bending down, stroke the toy.
- Exercises for the hands and shoulders. The child stands, feet shoulder-width apart, bends his arms at chest level and then alternately moves his arms forward and toward the middle, as if boxing. And it is even more interesting to do this with a soft and light children’s punching bag.
- “Show the palms.” The baby stands straight, legs slightly apart. Feet parallel, arms outstretched. Ask him to stretch both arms forward, palms up. “Show your palms”, then hide behind your back – “Hide your palms”.
- “Grow big.” The child stands straight, legs apart, arms outstretched. Stretches up, raising his arms. The variation of the exercise at the sports complex is visas and swaying on the rings or trapeziums. Fixed at the level of the raised hands of the baby.
- “Sweep the floor.” The child walks, slightly leaning forward. And makes hands movements that mimic the sweeping of the floor.
- “Look at the ball.” The child is standing straight, legs apart, holding the ball in front of him in the lowered hands. Raises the ball above his head and looks at it.
- “Squatting with the ball.” The child stands straight, feet parallel, holding the ball in lowered hands. Crouch down, touch the floor with the ball, then straighten up.
- “Push the ball with your hands.” The baby stands straight, legs slightly apart, arms outstretched. Stand in front and, holding the ball in one hand, have the child push him.
General recommendations on workouts with kids
- Workouts with kids are especially important when the baby is small. As your kid cannot alone exercise in the sports section. In this case, training with his mother is the best variant for both. For parents with children, special workouts are developed. They allow older family members to play sports with their children. Such workouts with kids strengthen both parents’ and their own health.
- For the youngest sportsmen, exercises have a form of the game. So that the child does not lose interest in the sport. The kind and pace of the exercises are constantly changing. Actually, everything is done to raise the child’s interest. Besides, the aim is to divert his attention from the obligatory routine exercising plan. The simpler and easier the child perceives the workouts, the faster he is drawn into a special sports atmosphere.
- A small child cannot focus on one exercise for a long time, as adults do. This happens not because he does not want to do tasks for long. But because the kid still has a fairly not developed nervous system. And he is not able to force himself to do something continuously. Even for more than five minutes. If a child is forced to stay on one exercise for a long time, he will cry. Moreover, he can refuse to work or continue to perceive workouts as obligatory exercises. They will leave only extremely unpleasant impressions. From such workouts with kids will be no benefits.
- A responsible parent who works with children should be to some extent a child psychologist. He is reacting to the slightest signs of the child’s fatigue. Physical or psychological. This provides a quick reaction and change of action. So as not to lose baby’s interest.
- It is very important for the child to constantly repeat the exercises. This contributes not only to memorize the sequence of actions. But also creates a certain cozy psychological environment. The child feels confident and quickly adapts to new conditions and place. He gets used to exercising with you and the environment. Then, the kid learns all the exercises. So you can begin to gradually complicate and diversify the workouts with kids. But carefully watch how well the children learn. And whether it is necessary to change the pace of training.
- Workouts with kids are important for a special emotional closeness between parents and kid. First of all, it is much more comfortable for him. To be in the familiar environment with his mom or dad. Secondly, the child is inclined to copy his parents’ behavior. If he looks at his family doing workouts with pleasure, he will also relate to these exercises. It will be much easier and comfortable for him next to his mother. She will always be able to help, correct and tell him what needs to be done.
- Having started workouts with kids, parents will form the habit of leading a healthy lifestyle. It is very important that this happens naturally. Without the slightest pressure and stress from elders. Then the kid will not imagine that you can live without sports activities. He will always be happy to play sports. Bound the useful habit from the early childhood of your baby. And he will save it for the whole life.
- While workouts with kids, the baby feel a special connection with his family. It is one more benefit in addition to a healthy lifestyle and the habit of regular playing sports. This is especially important for young children with working parents. They are usually constantly busy. So the child may feel abandoned and even alienation from the family. To prevent this, the baby should as often as possible be in close contact with the parents. Joint exercise will be a very useful physical condition. Besides, it will guarantee the peace of both older and younger members of the family.
- Spend some of your precious time with your child. This will help to arrange a strong connection between you. Even if you are a quite busy person. Believe, that the love of your own child is priceless. It is worth any sacrifice. Workouts with kids will bring you only benefits. You will be much healthier. Your body will be fit and toned. Moreover, looking at your smiling baby, you will become happier!