Downhill mountain biking is made to ride off-road when you are exhausted by free-riding on the smooth surface. Are you ready for adventures, fun, and competitions? Are you interesting in the technique of overcoming the steep descents and climbs, sharp turns and so on?
These questions should be answered. After reading this article you will know how to ride a mountain bike and learn some mountain bikers tips. You will recieve basic bike skills. Mountain bikes are specialized on the requirement to have some professional skills. The majority of mountain bikes are never used on the smooth surface. Some of them are seen in cities.
The rapidly changing pictures between the trees are everywhere when you are engaged in mountain biking. It is a familiar mountain biking experience. Mountain biking is an extreme kind of sports. Do you want to feel adrenalin rush? So, let’s start to learn some mountain biking tips.
Before discussing the distribution of the body wage, it is important to tell you about shifting the gears properly. It allows you to not to skid during the lifting. It will help to safe powers for all distance. You haven’t to shift your gears when you have already started rising. It can entail broken rear derailleur. If you really wanted to switch the gear, it will be just one up or down. The fast-shifting can break the transmission of your mountain bike.
Gear shifting allows the bicycle chain to slide on a smaller or larger gear diameter, requiring less or more load on the pedals. There shouldn’t be the high pressure onto pedals. You should smoothly continue to press it. It is better to tune gears before the mountain lifting. I really recommend it.
It is necessary to switch one gear up if the slope of the rise allows. If the steering wheel mounted horns, then use them effectively. If you are in a standing position and have a good load with your weight on the front wheel, it is possible to pull the horns upwards, but if possible, use the horn pull back.
Tips of overcoming the lifting in mountain biking
- Difficulties associated with this lifting are the slip of the rear wheel, detachment from the ground of front wheel. You can also feel a lack of pressure on pedals. From the origin, the technique of overcoming the lifting lays in physicals principles. If you stick to them, you will easily distribute your body wage and will overcome the lifting.
- Let’s talk about the thing that will certainly help you to overcome the height. Without a bike, it seems obvious that running around a hill needs to distribute weight. On a bicycle, we should only adopt the principles. According to them, we distribute body weight when running uphill.
- Running uphill our hands work harder, the head is more pressed to the neck than usual, the legs are strenuously pushed off the ground. Almost all the leg muscles are involved. The calf muscles and the ankle are strained. It provides a successful lift. Thigh muscles are adding power. Do not pull the wheel up when lifting. Front wheel can easily get off the ground. As a result, you will probably stop lifting and continue by your feet.
Tips how to place your body during mountain biking lifting
- Climbing a hill by sitting. Rudder need not pull up, but back. You should force it in the direction of the abdomen. It is necessary to clarify that thing for yourself. In mountain biking also necessary to bend the arms more at the elbows. It has to bring the head closer to the removal. So you give a little weight to the front wheel. It should prevent from lifting above the ground. Even better, if you manage to take a rudder a little further down. Just try that! If you place your shoulders at a 90-degree angle to the ascent trail, after that, you can even better distribute the weight on the bike, strengthening the grip of the wheels.
- You should slightly shift the weight of your body to the front side of the saddle. It will increase the force of pressure on bikes pedals. This position allows you to overcome not too steep, but long climbs. At the same time, this position will allow evenly twist the hill.
Uniform climbing is one of the main components of a successful climb recovery. The main mistake of many riders is uneven pedaling. Bikers often change the rhythm of the scrolling pedals. This is usually due to a lack of strength or a change in body position. This can lead to a slowdown your moving or even slip.
Properly selected gear and smooth twisting without pauses are important. It will allow you to continue to rise further to the top. It’s okay if you will climb the mountain sitting. The main thing is pedaling should be constant. If the pedaling isn’t constant, it will necessarily cause the stop.
When you feel tired…
When you feel that you can no longer cope with sitting, go to a standing ride. This often happens on very steep and prolonged climbs. However, this also requires a certain skill. It is also important not to make pauses in pedaling. If you just push the pedals down, resting when the pedals are in the six and nine o’clock position, this can also lead to a stop on the rise.
To pull the pedals vertically up from the down position, you can only use contact pedals. When they are in the downside, towards the forward position you can do. You just need to practice on smooth areas.
Try to hold the pedal along its entire trajectory. You should do this using even regular pedals. Try to mentally connect to the work of different muscles of the legs, distributing their effort to them. This will help you get less tired on the rise.
It is also important to maintain a balance. If you move your weight too much, you will begin to slip. If you move too far back from the center position, the front wheel will definitely come off the ground. During mountain biking you should place the weight in the center of the bike, you will also prevent the front wheel from wandering. If you have a good balance on the pedals, then you will clearly go to your goal. All of that without wags.
You need to stand on the pedals, bending your knees as much as possible. It will increase the grip on the wheels. You need to stand, not stretching out into the string. You need to be in a low position as possible. Here you also need to bend your elbows well, so that your chest is right above the steering wheel. Just do not overdo it, otherwise, you risk losing the wheel. And yet, if strength permits you, remain in the saddle. You will overcome the climb as much as you can.
This is a more advantageous position. Especially, if you use platform pedals rather than contact pedals. Going to a standing ride usually shows that the rider goes to the climb on the last breath. His strength will soon end. However, in the final part of the mountain biking, the use of standing while standing justifies itself.
The secret to easily overcome the mountain
There is another secret. It helps to overcome the most protracted climbs with a changing slope. Some seek to storm the rise as quickly as possible. However, when the mountain biking ends or when such bikers meet steeper sections, their forces no longer allow them to go further. The secret is not to ascend as quickly as possible.
Sometimes it is reasonable to drive up the hill slowly. Then you can save the necessary forces. The main thing here is a constant pace, which you must adhere to. And it is always possible to accelerate at the end of the mountain biking if the forces remain. It is much better than ending the assault of a mountain with half-dead. , so then you have to leave for some time.
To make the climb mountain easier, focus your eyes on your goal. If you look at the top and convince yourself that you will soon reach it, then it will be so. But if you look only at the ground, then this will not give you additional stimulus. Make the climb overcoming interesting, clearly maintain the pace you have taken. Then you will succeed.
Tips to overcome steep descents in mountain biking
- Descents bring a lot of fun, you should know how to pass mountain downhill correctly. Otherwise, you can harm your health. When you go downhill, the most important thing is to relax. Do not be zealous and do not try to excessively control the bike, or you risk failing. Focus on the obstacles and stand up from the seat. Keep your pedals parallel to the ground.
- It will be necessary for mountain biking to purchase appropriate protection. It will help to remain safe and sound in the event of a fall. The helmet and gloves are the necessary attributes of the biker. Have you ever seen a runner coming down from a mountain? Then you can try yourself to escape from a hill. Feel how you intuitively move your upper body back. Hands help you keep your balance. What would happen if you leaned forward? You would fly down.
How to find the correct body position on the bike?
Of course, it is worth moving your fifth point back. But the question is, how far should we go? Most publications advise you to move as far as possible. But as we have already said, this may lead to the fact that our front wheel will always be off the designated course due to bumps. Therefore, it is worth moving back just as steep as the descent.
Knowledge how to choose the right position of your palms on the rudder is really necessary. If you are on steepest slopes, you should unload the front wheel as much as possible. At this point, you can move back so much so that your arms are straightened. Do not be afraid to move back enough so that your stomach is over the saddle.
One of the most important points that should not be forgotten when passing descents is the proper use of the brakes. If your cycling experience is small, then it is worth to wait for a little with the rapid passage of descents. First, you need to feel your brakes well. Most mountain bikes today have fairly powerful brakes. The problem is that if you lock the wheel when braking, then fly through the steering wheel.
It is worth remembering the psychological side of the passage of descent. If you start being afraid, you will certainly lose control of the bike. Excessive fear will make your knees trembling. Your hands will become weak. You will not be able to manage the bike well. You will not follow the rapidly changing terrain and direction of the trail. Remember: as long as you believe in yourself, you can not lose control of the bike.
Tips to overcome sharp turns in mountain biking
- The technique of cornering is a topic as complex as it seems simple. Even your life may depend on how familiar you are with the rules of entering a turn. Often the mountain bike trail is a narrow and winding path. It is very pleasant to drive fast as if dodging trees unexpectedly appearing in front of you. However, it is also important to be careful. You should be aware of how to properly tilt the bike. You must choose the speed, choose the correct trajectory of movement.
- All bikers know a simple rule of turning: the speed must be reduced before passing the turn, and after passing through the middle of the turn, you can begin to increase the speed. If you are using a rear brake, then try to prevent the rear wheel from locking. It is equally important to be able to tilt the bike in the direction of the turn. If you do not know how to do this, then you will not be able to turn at speed.
- If the turn is too steep, you can set your foot, perhaps that way you will feel more comfortable yourself. In order to pass a high-speed turn, you need to sit very low, then your center of gravity will be lower. Lower down you need everything that is possible: the head, shoulders, heels. Bend your elbows. The load is also necessary to the steering wheel. This will help increase front wheel traction.
What about tire pressure?
You must comply with the maximum recommended tire pressure. This provides a smoother and more productive ride. It is the best protection against flat tires and wheel damage. It protects your full face. When you do a trail biking along a mountain path, you need to do the opposite. You should install tire pressure as low as recommended or slightly higher. Tires are really the first line of defense against pits on bike parks.
Gaze direction in mountain biking
See where you want to drive, not where you don’t want. Our body may be smarter than the brain. The body will seek to conduct itself where the eyes show. Such a trick will force the brain to show the eyes in the right direction, and the body will have more chances to go further.