Is it possible to do advanced yoga during your period? from Tania Kharkevich
Hello! I am a real yoga fan. After reading the article about 5 best yoga asanas to lose weight, I became really motivated. Isn’t is perfect to do the favourite yoga with a pleasant bonus, such as weight loss. This activity helps to maintain good health, improves not only physical but also emotional state. It is an excellent way of finding harmony as well as losing weight. So I highly recommend this kind of activity.
But let’s discuss my current question. At first, I would like to know how often in a week you’re doing yoga. If you can, advice me please the optimal frequency of yoga classes. My friends say you should do the exercises every day to achieve a better result. But mostly I do advanced yoga. So it’s not so simple to exercise every day. The current question for you guys is the following:
- Is it possible to do advanced yoga during your period? Are there some contradictions?
I’m very interested in your opinions. Share your experience if you have. Looking forward to reading your answers. Thanks in advance!
Doctors claim that, in contrast to heavy physical exertion, simplified elements of yoga are not only permissible. It is even necessary on critical days. But the sofa looks more attractive than a yoga mat. Just thinking about bending the legs and turning the body makes us uneasy, because now our goal is to survive in the battle with convulsions-killers.
There are few advices what to do during your period.
1. Do not overload yourself.
If you are a type of people who are ready to go to the end, just to properly perform asanas, slow down during menstruation. Now the body does not need extra loads.
2. Do not forget about water.
Funke recalls the importance of drinking regime for maintaining the body’s water balance. During the “period” we often want to drink more water than usual. This is due to the fact that the body loses more fluid, and it needs to replenish reserves. But Carolyn Funke advises to drink water before and after yoga, and in time – it is better to abstain.
3. Choose the right posture.
In some asanas you will feel better than in others. These include the posture of the bridge, the posture of rest, the pose of the fish, the pose of the wheel, etc. But be very attentive to the signals that the body gives you.
4. Take care of protection.
Today, a woman has a large selection of tools to help cope with menstrual flow. Tampons, pads, menstrual cups or discs – the range is great, but what is best for yoga? Just what gives you a feeling of comfort. If you do not like and do not use tampons, then do not torture yourself.
5. Try different types of yoga.
Yoga is different, and you should not forget about it. Funke offers to try different types of practices to find out what suits you best.
Your question is really interesting. I also like doing yoga and thank you for advice to read an article about Yoga for weight loss. It is useful. And I want you to know about contradictions.
HOW OFTEN CAN YOU DO YOGA?
Everyone needs an individual approach and have their own number of classes per week. The doctor or instructor should say how many times a week you should practice it. But only systematic practice will give you the result. If you have good health, you can work every day.
You are not allowed to do yoga if you have the following diagnoses:
– Serious mental illnesses (epilepsy, psychiatric disorders, psychosis, schizophrenia). But if you have depression, doing yoga is necessary for you.
– Diseases of the blood.
– Complex damage of the organs of the digestive system and the spine.
– Infection of the musculoskeletal system.
– Defeats of the musculoskeletal system, its severe forms.
– Severe vertebral and craniocerebral injuries.
– A hernia in the groin.
– Chronic hypertension.
– Serious diseases of the organs of the cardiovascular system (flashing arrhythmia, aortic aneurysms, uncompensated heart defects, paroxysmal tachycardia).
– Infection in the brain and spinal cord.
In some cases, yoga is contraindicated for a certain period of time:
– Six months after a stroke, a heart attack. Then only after consultation with the doctor.
– After operations on the chest, in the abdominal cavity for 2-3 months.
– Pregnancy after three months and three months postpartum.
– Chronic illnesses in the acute stage (cholecystitis, pancreatitis, intestinal ulcer, appendicitis, etc.).
– Increased or decreased body temperature.
– Body temperature above 37 and below 36.
– Excessive fatigue.
– A slight imbalance in the activity of the vestibular apparatus.
– An increase of intracranial and temporal pressure of the eye.
– The use of drugs in large quantities.
Only the doctor should tell when it is possible to begin to practice yoga.
YOGA IN SPECIAL CONDITIONS
Women during pregnancy period are recommended to do easy asanas. Doing it helps you to relax the body. There are also some special yoga complexes during pregnancy.
During this period, not all asanas are allowed. During the menstrual cycle, you should do easy and not heavy asanas. Inverted asanas and twisting are forbidden. It is desirable to use simple asanas, but if the state of health is bad, it is better not to do them at all.
It is desirable to do yoga in the morning. Perform asanas slowly, inverted asanas – with caution.
While depression it is recommended to do soft relaxation asanas, respiratory practices. This method is also suitable for those, who are neuroses and have chronic fatigue syndrome.
Do not perform an exercises with a strong load on the lower extremities. It is necessary to keep the balance, sticking your hands around the wall. Exercises with legs are not recommended.
DISEASES OF GASTROINTESTINAL TRACT
If you have such diseases, twisting is not recommended. Your classes should be done using a simple and not complex program. With problems with the organs of the abdominal cavity, every asana should be performed at a slow pace, controlling the state of your health.
If you have concerns about your health, it is better to consult a doctor or instructor. You will get information about what exercises are appropriate to you and what are not.
Please login or Register to submit your answer