annot decide between Fitbit Aria and Fitbit Aria 2? Both smart scales are highly accurate and positively reviewed by customers. Here you’ll get the answer: should you upgrade?
Here is the deal:
The original Fitbit Aria and Fitbit Aria 2 are made to track your body data with the highest accuracy. It will be hard to miss something while striving for the body of your dreams having such an amazing fitness tool at home.
In this article, we present the 2 models of the Fitbit weight scale review to decide which one is better.
Fitbit Aria Smart Scale review
Fitbit Aria WiFi Smart Scale is a perfect choice for those who want to monitor their progress and always stay in form. It automatically syncs with your home Wi-Fi system.
Here are the network conditions needed:
Wireless 802.11b, WEP/WPA/WPA2 personal security, Automatic (DHCP) IP setup (static IP configuration not supported). So it is very easy to start tracking all the data.
Choose this scale if you are looking for Fitbit Aria cheapest price. The best price is available on Amazon (check it above). Smart scale weight limit is the following: 20-350 lbs.
What do you need for Fitbit Aria web set up for the first time?
Actually, you’ll need one of the following: Windows XP and later, Mac OS X 10.5 and up, iPhone 4S and later, iPad 3 gen. and later, and leading Android and Windows devices.
As to the batteries, Aria uses 4 AA batteries. So no energy cord is necessary. Battery type is the following: 4 standard 1.5V size AA batteries. They are included when you order the fitness equipment on Amazon.
One more advantage of this scale:
High water resistance. Fitbit Aria WiFi Smart Scale is quite able to stand and work in wet bathroom conditions. Some condensation due to hot showers, etc. will not harm or damage the scale.
Fitbit Aria 2 review
Fitbit Aria new version is a high quality, accurate fitness device. What basic features does Fitbit Aria 2 Wi-Fi Smart Scale has?
With its help, you can easily measure the following data:
- body fat percentage
- lean mass and body mass index BMI
You can sync the scale simply to your Fitbit dashboard. What do you need for it?
As the device connects automatically, you just need using Wi-Fi encryption and the smart scale will track your development with simple, easy-to-read graphs that included to it.
If you care too much for your flat design:
Do not be afraid that the scale on the floor will spoil it! On the contrary, smooth, up-to-date bright glass cover for a scale that looks stylish and fashionable anywhere, in any room.
- Fitbit Aria 2 Wi-Fi Smart Scale measures not only weight but much more data. Monitor easily improved weight metrics to help reach healthy, long-term effects. Aria 2 measures your weight, BMI, lean mass and body fat percentage and simply syncs it all to your Fitbit dashboard.
- With an upgraded model, it is easy to monitor your usual results. Aria 2 automatically syncs your stats via your home WIFI system so you never have to register or keep in mind them. Pure charts and graphs show your progression over time.
- The Fitbit upgraded smart scale is created in order to be shared. Aria 2 can identify up to eight users while maintaining stats private. Each time you step on the scale, it identifies you, represents your stats and sends them right to your Fitbit record.
- Fitbit Aria 2 Wi-Fi Smart Scale is quite simple to use. This fitness device is a breeze to set up working with your smartphone’s Bluetooth. Just follow the quick start example and in a few minutes, your scale is set to go.
Here are the main advantages:
- You will be able to monitor your progress data, getting help in fixing purposes for weight, hydration, activity, nutrition, and sleep and follow your development over time.
- Creating your personal nutrition scheme, you can log feeds and use calorie counting to monitor and keep your calories in vs. calories out under control, and to get a well-rounded view of your current health state.
- The most interesting point is earning rewards. In such a way, you will stay motivated by making achievement badges when you reach a fitness purpose and sharing with your friends on Fitbit Feed. Exciting, isn’t it?
For more useful information, check the Fitbit official website. You can find there the useful, interesting and suitable especially for you devices in the Fitbit App.
|Fitbit Aria||Fitbit Aria 2|
|Weight||4.7 lbs||5.7 lbs|
|Size||1.3 x 12.3 x 12.3 in||1.6 x 14.2 x 14 in|
|WiFi||2.4 GHz 802.11b||2.4 GHz 802.11b/g/n|
|Setup||via WiFi from your computer||from phone or tablet via Bluetooth and app|
|Weight Limit||Up to 20–350lbs (9–158kg)||Up to 400lbs (4.5–181.4kg)|
|Power||4 AA batteries||3 AA batteries|
|Operating Humidity||Up to 95%||Up to 93%|
|Personalized Icons & Greetings||No||Yes|
|BMI, Lean Mass & Body Fat Percentage||Yes||Yes|
|Users||Up to 8||Up to 8|
Why choose the original Fitbit Aria (2) smart scale?
Fitbit Aria Wi-Fi scales are not simply stylish looking fitness equipment.
They also measure the fat percentage and, in such a way, influence weight loss. In particular, they are suitable for those who already own other Fitbit products. In particular, Ultra, Zip or One activity trackers.
As the scale requires barefoot owners to measure body fat percentage in the body composition. So let’s start with the technical characteristics of the smart scale.
- Sensors: scales (up to 158 kg), a sensor for electrical analysis of the body fat percentage
- Screen: monochrome, contains three parts, the effect of “running line”
- Connection: Wi-Fi 802.11 b with WEP/WPA/WPA2 support
- Dimensions, weight: 312 x 312 x 334 mm, 2.7 kg
- System requirements: Wi-Fi network with DHCP (allocation of a static address is not supported);
- Equipment: Fitbit Aria, 4 AA batteries, quick start guide
Designers of the Fitbit, in the case with Aria, have worked significantly better, then with Ultra. Of course, nobody will place the scale on the visible place in the living room. But in case your guests enter your bathroom, they will like the scales for sure. Actually, if compare black and white version, it is hard to say which one looks more stylish.
It probably depends on the color of the bathroom. The black scale is stricter, the white one is less noticeable and more “airy”. The top screen is covered with glass – for greater durability, and besides, it is much easier to wash it.
The display of the device is bright and contrasting, therefore difficulties in identifying bright symbols can start only from those who put the scales on the platform, which is exposed to direct sunlight.
Fitbit Aria advantages
Actually, Aria constantly welcomes you, inspires you to stand on the scales and, unlike the Withings Smart Body Analyzer WS-50, does not throw offensive words like “fat”. The bottom of the Fitbit Aria will not be visible to you or your guests.
But it will not make anyone feel shy – the characteristic “navels”, pleasant to the touch look quite stylish. Personally, you will see them every six months – that is how many batteries work, the access cover to which is located just at the bottom of the scale.
In general, Fitbit Aria leaves a very pleasant impression – akin to what is caused by modern expensive smartphones and tablet computers. It is expensive in appearance and touch device with rounded surfaces and an excellent display.
Installation and web setup
Scales Fitbit Aria is unusually friendly to their new owner, anyone can easily use them. Included in the delivery is a device with already inserted batteries, protected from emptying with a characteristic yellow tape.
To make the scales work, just open the lid and pull out the tape.
- A welcome message will quickly appear on the screen. To configure and work Fitbit Aria in the house should work wireless network (Wi-Fi). There is no other way to adjust the scales, and they transmit information only via Wi-Fi.
- Then, the scales require DHCP. If you do not know what it means, then, most likely, this function is enabled in your home router (it is enabled by default in almost all routers).
- Well, if for some reason Aria refuses to connect/synchronize with the network, then the incoming master can be said that “weights require DHCP” – it will understand.
To install, you will need to run an established utility for a computer or mobile devices (a list of supported devices on the official website). Unlike the Withings Smart Body Analyzer WS-50, you cannot transfer the settings of your home network to Fitbit Aria, you’ll have to remember the Wi-Fi password.
Fortunately, you need to adjust the scales only once, then they will just work. Make sure that they are within the network coverage area (there is a characteristic icon on the display).
If you already have Fitbit One, Zip or Ultra and on the smartphone is branded utility Fitbit, then you will be asked to connect the scales to an existing account. If this is your first Fitbit purchase, you will have to create an account again.
It is also worth considering:
Opportunities to make a “family” account or “tie” a child to yours are absent. Fitbit company believes that weight loss and its control, this is a private matter. So even children have the right to keep their personal data hidden from prying eyes.
For more choices, see top 5 Amazon Kitchen Scales 2020 for weighing products.
Fitbit scale setup problems
The problem №1: Fitbit Aria not connecting to wifi
In case you make changes to your wireless network, you should reconnect the smart scale to your network. Settings in your network can include the following:
- Network name
- Network provider
The problem №2: Fitbit Aria not showing body fat
In case your initials are showing for the weight (doesn’t do a calculation for guests). Besides, you are barefoot then you’ll have to call customer service – the above question is the first they’ll ask to be sure you have no socks on and the Aria is on a flat surface.
Fitbit Aria and its programs
What explains the whole power of Fitbit Aria is in the company’s free online service Fitbit:
Despite its simplicity, achievement points are very powerful weapons in the fight against obesity.
The original Fitbit app was created in such a way that there was a place for information from the activity tracker like Zip, One or Ultra, and from Fitbit Aria scales (the owners of the fitness trackers probably noticed this well).
As a result, if you have both, in the mobile program or on the Fitbit website, an exciting picture of the struggle for a healthy lifestyle begins to unfold.
- the number of steps you have gone
- how much you weigh
- the number of calories you lost
- how you slept
In our opinion, Fitbit Aria is an excellent device for those who want to get electronic scales, which not only show a beautiful picture on the display. But at the same time, send it to an electronic service, where this figure is subject to “accounting and control.”
And if you already have One, Zip or Ultra, then buying a Fitbit Aria becomes almost necessary – all together, these gadgets show a comprehensive picture.
By the way, Fitbit Aria, like other Fitbit products, is friendly with other fitness apps. A list of supported programs can be found on the official website.
Thanks to its stylish appearance, Fitbit Aria will be “your boyfriend” (although by nature it’s rather a girl) in even very advanced interiors. And easy smartphone setup and use will allow even those who are afraid of all kinds of electronics to cope with it.
Q: How to use Fitbit Aria?
A: On the one hand, there is nothing special about simply “mechanical” use of Fitbit Aria. As there are hardly any people who, at a conscious age, have not weighed at least once. How does Aria scale know who is on it?
Actually, it’s enough just to stand up – and the scales will try to recognize you. If there are no people in the house whose weight differs by no more than 3.5 kilograms, then Fitbit Aria will recognize this or that person immediately and with 100% accuracy.
Remember, that if there are twins or people in the house that weigh almost equally, you will have to confirm your identity by stamping your foot on the scales at the moment when your name appears on the display. The name, by the way, can consist of a maximum of three letters and must be written in strictly Latin.
Fitbit Aria: add new user. If the guest tries to weigh himself, the scales will, of course, faithfully display his weight on the display. But in addition, they will record the information in your account – under the “guest” account. It can, however, be removed from there.
Q: How does Fitbit measure body fat?
A: The weighing process takes 7-8 seconds. Fitbit Aria immediately tries to download data wirelessly to a remote server. If it does not succeed (for example, there is no access to the Internet or just something did not work), you should not be afraid. Aria keeps a number of weighings in memory, so the data will be delivered, just a little later.
In parallel, Fitbit Aria tries to calculate the percentage of fat tissue in the body based on the electrical resistance of the body. That is, a weak electric flow will be passed through the body, which, in theory, can disrupt the operation of electrical implants.
In addition, this method may fail for children under the age of 10 years. As they are so weak that you feel nothing. However, in order for it to count, you need to stand on the scales barefoot – even thin socks or stockings are an insurmountable obstacle.
The functions of considering the percentage of fat tissue do not take into account who stands on the scales. An ordinary person or a professional athlete. And in general, the versions of Aria and Smart Body Analyzer WS-50 were quite different. We would say that blindly trusting this function is not worth it.
Yes, she correctly notes any changes (which is, of course, important), but with absolute values, weights are in trouble. But about the quality of weighing the same can not be said – the scales are quite accurate. Fitbit Aria scales are not licensed as a medical device, so they should not be used in hospitals and clinics. But for domestic use, their accuracy is more than enough.
Q: How does Fitbit aria recognize users?
A: No matter how often you use the scale: every day or rearer, it will always identify who you are by using prior weight & body fat percentage. If your weight doesn’t change greatly (like losing 20 lbs in 2 days), then it will identify.
Besides, the first few times you use the scale, it will ask if it’s you with an icon that you can switch. You can further edit users on your Fitbit app using your phone.
Q: How does Fitbit aria track body fat?
A: Fitbit Aria manages to calculate the body fat percentage based on the electrical resistance of the body. That is, a weak electric flow will be passed through the body, which, in theory, can disrupt the operation of electrical implants.
The weighing process takes 7-8 seconds. Some may mistakenly take steps, such as shaking in a car, some wind the counter from the usual strokes of the hand. Therefore, this information should not be taken as absolutely accurate.
Q: Does Fitbit aria work with MyFitnessPal? Garmin products?
A: You can use the free MyFitnessPal app to get your weight from the Fitbit Aria 2 and the Fitbit app to sync to the Garmin app. So, yes, it works but you need 2 extra apps.
If you have an iPhone, you can also use Apple Health (it is not necessary, but it’s one more chance in case MyFitnessPal has problems syncing weight to Garmin).
Q: How to reset Fitbit aria?
A: 1. Get out a battery for 10-15 seconds and then put them back in
2. Try to step on the scale so that the information shows up on the display
3. While the message is still on the display insert a needle into the tiny hole on the back of the scale (about 11.5cm from the top and 8cm from the left)
4. After a few seconds “set up active” message should appear on the display (it means that you have managed to reset the Aria).
Q: How to add friends on Fitbit aria?
A: 1. From the Fitbit app dashboard, tap or click the Account icon
2. Tap Aria 2, Users, then a + icon
3. Pick up an actual Fitbit friend or enter the email address of the person you wish to add to the scale. In case that person has a Fitbit account, use the email address they use with Fitbit.
4. Your friend will get an invitation email requesting to confirm before their data appears under your scale. So, their weigh-ins will be identified as “Guest” until they accept the email request.
Q: How to calibrate Fitbit aria 2
A: Actually, the Aria is self-calibrating. Are you moving the scale before you step on it? In such a case, it is attempting to recalibrate while the weigh-in and you need to weigh the 2nd tine. It is useful to put it in a place where you do not have to move it to step on it.
Q: What kind of batteries does the Fitbit aria use?
A: Fitbit aria uses 4 AA batteries. Fitbit aria 2 is equipped with 3 AA batteries.
In our opinion, Fitbit Aria is perfect fitness equipment for those who want to get electronic scales, which not only show a beautiful figure on the display but send it to an electronic service, where this figure is subject to “accounting and control.”
Thanks to its stylish appearance, Fitbit Aria will look stylish in even very modern interiors. Moreover, the ease of setup and use will allow even those who are afraid of any kinds of electronics to cope with it.
- easy to set up;
- friendly to you;
- stylish appearance;
- accurate scales;
- integration with Fitbit activity trackers;
- strong weight-motivating game system.
Of course, you should upgrade your Fitbit Aria to Fitbit Aria 2 Wi-Fi Smart Scale. As the new model has improved characteristics, the accuracy of weighing and much more advantages mentioned above.