It is not a secret that olive oil has become the most well-known and popular healthy oil. It is considered beneficial because of many useful substances in it. That is why the oil is a perfect butter substitute in cooking. Regular consuming of a small amount of oil will make you slimmer, younger, more beautiful, give a feeling of lightness and raise your mood.
Actually, the color of olive oil can be bright yellow, dark gold or greenish, depending on the variety of olives, and their degree of ripeness. The taste of this oil also depends on it, but should never be tasteless or sour. Good oil has a slightly spicy flavor and a bit tart smell.
Top facts of Olive oil benefits for health
- The oil contains nearly all the vitamins and minerals a person needs that is well absorbed by the body.
- It is especially useful for lowering cholesterol level since its content of linoleic acid (which helps remove cholesterol from the body) is higher than in other vegetable oils. Therefore, oil is a good tool for the prevention of cardiovascular diseases.
- The oil helps to normalize blood pressure. However, to get rid of any problems with pressure, just eating healthy oils is not enough. But you can get rid of them, applying complex methods.
- It also has a beneficial effect on body rejuvenation due to vitamin E content and antioxidants. Moreover, this useful property of olive oil is manifested when eaten and when applied externally. The oil prevents the appearance of wrinkles.
- The oil helps to strengthen the immune system.
- Besides, it is useful for the prevention of atherosclerosis. This valuable property of oil is provided by the biologically active carbohydrates contained in it.
- The oil has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties due to oleocanthal compounds. It helps the healing of wounds, ulcers, and cuts.
- It is very useful for the digestive system, improving the activity of the stomach, intestines, pancreas, and liver. With a slight laxative effect, the oil perfectly helps normalize stools.
- Consequently, the oil helps to lose weight thanks to its high oleic acid content, which improves the absorption and processing of fats.
Useful content of the oil
- Olive oil is rich in oleic acid, which contributes to the flow of metabolic processes, strengthens the walls of blood vessels.
- Its constituent omega-9 fatty acids have an anticarcinogenic effect, reduces blood pressure, normalizes blood cholesterol levels, and are useful for the prevention of diabetes.
- Linoleic acid, which is the component of the oil, accelerates wound healing, helps to improve eyesight.
- Vitamins A, D, K strengthen the intestinal walls, bone tissue.
- And vitamin E is a highly active antioxidant, it smoothes the skin, makes hair shine, slows the aging process.
Olive oil as the healthy butter substitute in nutrition
Actually, it is possible to cook almost everything on the olive oil. It can substitute the butter in most recipes including bakery products, pastries, cookies and so on. Use 3/4 cup oil instead of 1 cup butter.
- You can bake potatoes in the oven, any vegetables, meat, poultry or fish using the oil.
- Any baking becomes delicious if you add at least a few oil drops. Under the influence of heat, sugar is caramelized, the syrup spreads In combination with the oil, it gives the taste a unique flavor.
- Rice will become lighter with a Mediterranean flavor if cooked on olive oil, not butter. Try adding a little freshly squeezed lemon juice for a delicious plover in Cretan style.
- Crete chefs use the oil as a seasoning for dishes and have used it for centuries to prepare lentils, beans, vegetables and herbs such as dandelion, mangold, spinach and other wild herbs.
- When adding olive oil to soups, the dishes are enriched with the aroma as well as using fresh and dried herbs such as oregano, parsley, and thyme.
- Use oil, directly adding it to fresh salads and steamed or fried vegetables.
- Use it as a light sauce with fresh lemon, red wine vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper as a dressing for vegetables and salads.
- Serve to breakfast or as the light snack in any part of the day, mixing the useful oil, lemon, a punch of salt, dried oregano or other fresh or dried herbs, as a perfect alternative to butter to bread, but without cholesterol.
- The oil of good quality is an essential ingredient in cooking pesto with basil, garlic, lemon zest, grated cheese, and pine nuts.
- As a Greek snack serve bread, olive, and Feta cheese with the oil sprinkled with dried oregano to wine.
- Consuming the fresh pure unrefined oil is not only the perfect choice in cooking but also the beneficial product for health. It ensures a better absorption of all the nutrients contained in it.
Conclusion: What harm can be in Olive oil? Contradictions
- Like all fats, this oil is a fairly high-calorie product (one tablespoon contains about 120 kcal). This should be taken into account by those who are on a diet.
- The oil has a noticeable choleretic effect. Therefore, people with cholecystitis, as well as the presence of stones in the gallbladder, should use it with caution and not on an empty stomach.
- Excessive consumption of olive oil can cause lower blood pressure, and, moreover, the risk of diabetes is increased. Therefore, you should not use more than 2 tablespoons of olive oil per day.
- The oil is better not to use for frying. Under the influence of high temperatures, the butter begins to “smoke” and the fats become oxidized, as a result, free radicals and other dangerous compounds are formed instead of useful antioxidants. It is best to use the product as a salad dressing and other cold dishes.